St. Catherine Church was established shortly after the turn of the century with priests coming from Alpena to offer Mass. On Christmas day in 1903, the first Mass was celebrated with 38 families in attendance. For fifty years the sturdy old clapboard church withstood winds and the elements of nature, but the growth of the area took its toll on our old friend. In 1957 St. Catherine had grown to over 100 families. A building fund was started to replace the old church. On February 16, 1958 the first Mass was celebrated in the new church. By 1965 with 170 families as members, an addition was needed for catechetical classes, parish functions and summer Mass attendance. The parish hall was completed in 1966. Between 1970 and 1975 the rectory was remodeled, a garage was built and a new concrete parking lot was finished, and the interior of the church was refinished. In 2000 the Grotto was completed and the interior of the church was refurbished.